Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Literary Spotlight-- Life Through Faded Eyes: Part 6

“Why do we need to schedule a chess match this Saturday?” Theodore asked as the bell rang to go to next period.

“Because Haley came and asked me to go to that comforting the elderly thing, because everyone was dropping out, and she needed more people, and she asked me, and I didn’t know what to say.” My voice was trailing off, so I took a deep breath. “I didn’t want to lie, and it was kind of hot in the hallway, and it just kind of slipped out of my mouth, so you have to help me. Seriously.”

Theodore simply stared at me for a few seconds, his mouth hanging open, his hand in the air like he was waiting for more. “What slipped out of your mouth? What’s this got to do with chess? You’re not making sense.”

“I told Haley I had a chess match this Saturday. I don’t want her to think I’m lying. Just do this for me please, man?” We were at our lockers, and I was grabbing a sweatshirt out of my locker. Theodore eyed it, and then he smiled.

“It’s not hot in the hallway now, is it?” he said slyly.

“Theodore, what are you talking about?” I asked.

“Earlier when you weren’t making any sense: you said it was hot in the hallway talking to Haley.” He pointed out.

“Oh. I did, didn’t I?” I said in a small voice. I gently shut my locker.

“You like her, don’t you?” Theodore said. I could tell he was holding back a smile; maybe he was holding back a laugh.

“What?” I said. “No!”

“Yeah, I think you do.” Theodore said while turning to leave. “Sorry, dude, but I’m not scheduling chess for this Saturday. I’m going to the mall with Lewis.”

“No, you can’t do this.” I put a hand on Theodore’s shoulder. “What about all the times I’ve been there for you? This is your chance to repay me.” Theodore just laughed, and walked away.

“Good luck Charlie.” He called back.

All that week, I tried to convince Theodore to help me out. I didn’t know why I needed him to schedule chess Saturday. I’m sure other people lie about that stuff, but for some reason I just couldn’t do it. Maybe it had to do with Haley, or maybe I’m just some test from the government for an eternal truth serum, and they put me under amnesia so I don’t know what’s going on. Yeah, that’s it.

All while I was trying to get Theodore to stop being so hard headed, Haley kept running into me in the hallway. She wouldn’t even beg me to go to that nursing home trip. She would politely wave and I would wave back, but then when I did wave she wasn’t looking anymore, so I looked like some idiot. One day she even told me: “Good luck with Chess this Saturday!” I almost choked on her sarcasm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! Comments will post after approval from a moderator.