Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Editorial: A Spark of Potential

Wednesday, March 4th, I participated in the State Indoor Track meet. I competed in the triple jump, and placed 7th in state. You would think this was a great accomplishment, but how many people in the student body knew I even went to state? Not many, to say the least. Also recently, the wrestling team won 1st in state. I want to congratulate the wrestlers on yet another great season, and I’m proud to hear they've done well. However, how many people in the student body knew the wrestlers won state? Everyone who attended the celebratory assembly the day we got back. Don’t get me wrong, I think the wrestlers deserve that praise. They not only made it to state, but they won state. That is an accomplishment worthy of recognition.

On the school website, you can find congratulatory messages to band members who are going to the Tri-State Honors Chamber Wind Festival, and of course to the wrestlers for winning the 1A State Championship, but where is indoor track? The reason I have found is because indoor track isn't considered a sport here at Rural Retreat High School, and this is the idea I want to confront.

For years, Coach Hadaway, the coach for indoor track, has been recruiting whoever he can to participate in the sport, and he used to drive the athletes around in his own vehicle. Only this year has Coach Hadaway been able to drive a county vehicle. All these years, it has been completely voluntary, and hasn't received much support through the school because it isn't a sport. I would like to change that.

Indoor track has potential. For years, only a select few have had the opportunity to participate in it, but also in those few years, several have gone to state to participate. Last year, Matthew Farmer and Brian Crockett both participated in state, and Matthew Farmer won his event and broke a record. This year, I placed 7th in state for the triple jump, and Colin Crigger placed 10th in the 500 meter dash, and he is only a freshman. This is a spark that could catch on to be a bonfire.

I believe that if indoor track were a sport, then perhaps it would be easier for students to participate. Rural Retreat has the potential to have an excellent track team, but no one will come out. Being that Rural Retreat is a small school, a lot of the school athletes participate in many sports, but I would like to point out that track can be great complementary sport. It builds endurance, and endurance is useful in any sport, from football to tennis.

I feel indoor track has not been given the praise it deserves. Coach Marty Hadaway hasn't received all the appreciation he deserves for being such a dedicated coach to a sport that isn't a sport. I feel indoor track has potential if only some students could give it a try. I hope that in leaving this year, I can leave behind a spark that continues to grow. Perhaps this will be the spark that starts the bonfire that I know indoor track could become. It’s possible, but it needs initiative both from students and the school. I've done my part; now, you can make it happen.


Dylan Crigger

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! Comments will post after approval from a moderator.