Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Student Feature: Aeriel Corvin and Motocross

Ever since I was around eight or nine years old, motocross has always been a big part of my life. It's always been one of my favorite hobbies; it's just overall exciting. I get an adrenaline rush every time I'm behind the handlebars. The definition of Motocross according to Wikipedia is "a form of off-road motorcycle racing held on enclosed off-road circuits." But the definition to me is pure happiness. I got my first dirt bike for my ninth birthday; it was a 65cc Honda, which was perfect for me at the time because I was pretty tall for a nine-year-old. But, there are sometimes consequences and some of them might not be too fun. About four years after that, I was riding one afternoon and I hit a large rock and wrecked. I flipped over the handlebar and broke five of my left ribs. I will never forget that summer; it was the most memorable yet painful. I've had other wrecks, but that was beyond the worst. I've had plenty of cuts and bruises here and there, but nothing major has convinced me to stop riding. I was a little hesitant, but I never gave up and will continue to ride. It's very exciting, and it makes you feel like you're flying. That is what drove me to motocross; when I watched my brother race I loved the fact that he would go very high up in the air. You can get up to 15 feet-- it just depends on your bike and of course, yourself. That's my favorite part of dirt bike riding by far. I've come a long way from a curious child to who I am today. Currently, I own a 150cc Suzuki dirt bike. There are many different types and brands of bikes. For example Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, and KTM all make different sizes and styles of dirt bikes. Your job is figuring out which one suits you the best based on your height and weight. Motocross is a very dangerous sport.  According to The Top Tens, it is ranked at #10 of the most dangerous sports. That it is; many professional racers have suffered life-threatening injures, getting put into comas and much more. That's why you wear the protective equipment such as a helmet, long-length pants, gloves, and boots, all preferably bright-colored to minimize the risk of accidents. Chest and knee pads can also be worn for added protection. Dirt bike riding and or racing is very fun but you have to be mature enough to participate in it. If not, you can obviously get badly injured or even hurt someone else if you are not careful. 

-Aeriel Corvin   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! Comments will post after approval from a moderator.