Pages

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Literary Spotlight-- Life Through Faded Eyes: Part 10

“Thanks for dropping me off at my house, Mr. Trenton.” I waved while stepping out of the car. I wanted to go straight to my bed room. I didn't know what I would do when I got into the darkness, but I just wanted to feel safe. I wanted to feel hidden.

“Wait!” I heard the passenger door open as I was walking to my front door.

“Thank you for coming to help us today, Charlie.” Haley said. She looked me right in the eyes, and then looked away while pulling a strand of stray hair behind her ear. “You don’t know how much it meant to me.”

“Haley,” I let out a sigh and shrugged my shoulders, “I didn't do much to be honest. You and Garry deserve most of the praise.”

“No.” Haley shook her head. The wind rustled through the trees, and Mr. Trenton and Garry waited patiently in the car. “Me and Garry didn't save the Interact Club. I’m sorry I was so rude to you about being dared to join the club. Whether you wanted to be here or not, I believe you’re here for some purpose.”

“You better get going.” I motioned to the car. Mr. Trenton was staring out the still-open passenger door.

“Yeah, see you Charlie.” Haley started to walk back to the car. “Oh, wait!” she turned and ran to me while pulling a paper out of her pocket. “This is my phone number. Text me some time or something. We still have to do that whole date thing I guess.”

“Yeah,” I said, but my words just kind of fell out. They had no meaning. Why did I feel this way? “See you soon, Haley.”

Haley handed me the paper, smiled, and ran back to Mr. Trenton’s car. She waved before shutting the door, and I forced a smile and waved back. I just wanted to go to my room, and I did. I didn't even tell my parents I was home, just retreated to my room, and shut the door.

The bed felt so comfy, and I played Skyrim that afternoon. I came out only to eat dinner and use the bathroom. I lay down in my bed that night to go to sleep. I closed my eyes, but I couldn't sleep.

Those eyes kept staring at me. Those cold eyes burned into my soul. I felt like those eyes saw me for everything I truly was, and it made me feel uncomfortable. Why did they make me feel ashamed? Why couldn't I meet the old man’s gaze?

I wasn't a bad person. I just kept to myself. I knew what I was good at, and it wasn't helping elderly people, or anything like that. I was good at Skyrim, and Skyrim was fun. I liked the chess club even though I’d never played chess before, so why did I feel so empty when that old man looked at me?

I've never done anything bad, really. I guess I've never really done anything good either. I didn't deserve to be a part of the Interact Club. I didn't deserve a date with Haley. Those eyes told me that much. With those dark thoughts, I fell asleep in my dark room. Maybe I would feel better in the morning.


-Dylan Crigger

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! Comments will post after approval from a moderator.