Pages

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Literary Spotlight-- Life Through Faded Eyes: Part 11

It was Sunday. I had nothing to do. My Jurassic Park flip phone was on my dresser next to the paper Haley had given me with her phone number. I was playing Skyrim, but my eyes kept drifting to the paper. Each time they did, I would lean towards my dresser, but the Xbox would make a noise, and I would return to Skyrim.
I was doing a quest for the Dark Brotherhood, a group of assassins in Skyrim, but I kept dying. After my third attempt, I stood up, turned the Xbox off, and fell backwards onto my bed. Again, my eyes drifted towards the dresser, and my heart started pounding. In my mind, I spent the next ten minutes convincing myself I needed to do something.

I sat up on my bed, with my feet hanging off the right side where the dresser was. I had my hand on the phone, and the paper laid out where I could see it. Haley had told me to text her, but I wasn’t that great at texting. Plus, with my dinosaur phone, you had to press a button four times to get an s, and that was just painful. It wasn’t like having a keyboard.

I sat for what felt like an hour: fifteen minutes to pick up the phone, fifteen minutes to dial the number, another fifteen minutes of encouragement, and fifteen minutes to finally hit the call button. Once my finger hit the button, I wanted to hang up; I came pretty close, but I let it ring. The ringing lasted even longer than the hour it took to get to the ringing. My heart was pounding even more, and my hands were so sweaty I thought I was going to drop the phone, but I didn’t.

“Hello?” Haley’s voice chimed in on the other end of the phone.

“Oh, hey Haley,” I rubbed the back of my head, and breathed into the phone awkwardly. I hoped Haley couldn’t hear it. “It’s Charlie.”

“Oh!” Haley sounded surprised, and it kind of hurt my ear when she shouted into the phone. “Yeah, ok. I thought you were going to text me?”

“That would have taken even longer than it did to call you,” I muttered under my breath.

“What?” Haley said on the other end.

“Oh, nothing. I didn’t say anything.” I was pacing my room for no reason. Why do I move constantly when I’m on the phone? I planted myself in my desk chair.

“Okay.” Haley responded. There was some awkward static. “So, I just got out of church.”

“You go to church?” I interrupted while standing up. Crap. I sat back down again.

“Yeah, are you surprised?” Haley chuckled into the phone a little. “I guess I’m not doing so hot with the whole Christian thing then.”

“No, that’s not what I meant,” I said. Why am I sitting down? She can’t see me. I stood up and started pacing.

“No it's fine, Charlie,” Haley said. More awkward static. “Do you want to possibly go hang out later, or something like that?”

“Sure. I’m not busy.” I responded, and scratched my head. “Do you want to eat diner somewhere?”

“Yes. Let’s meet at the diner in town. The one with the old-fashioned drive in? Be there at five.” She said. It was very commanding.

“Sure. I’ll see you later, Haley,” I responded. Haley hung up, and I could finally breathe again. Why was I pacing?

Dylan Crigger

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! Comments will post after approval from a moderator.