Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Literary Spotlight-- Life Through Faded Eyes: Part 7

The next day, a Thursday, I continued to see Theodore in class and Haley in the hall. Theodore would joke: “Why don’t you play chess with Haley this Saturday?” Haley would say: “You better win your chess match Saturday!” I was getting sick of it. When I would see Lewis, he would try to ignore my “situation” as he called it, but Theodore would always butt in and change the subject.

I couldn’t take it anymore. I was going to go tell Haley the truth about the chess match this Saturday, even though it was obvious she already knew. I don’t think anyone told her, but if anyone did, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Theodore. Ever since my dad made me sign up for sports and clubs, my whole life has been screwed up. I have less time to just do nothing. Life was normal, and I had Skyrim to keep me company. Now I’m in a mess.

Thursday after school, I waited outside at the buses hoping to stop Haley. I saw her, she caught my gaze, and she waved with a smile before speeding off in the direction of her bus. I followed after her. We weaved through people walking slowly to the buses. Why did I get the feeling she was running away from me?

I finally caught up to her just as she was getting to her bus. I reached out and put my hand on her shoulder, and she was already stepping up onto the first step of the bus.

“Wait, just a minute,” I panted. I doubt she heard me over the chugging of the bus’s engine. She didn’t turn around, but she stood waiting on the first step.

“I don’t really have a chess match this Saturday. I didn’t want to lie though, and tried to get Theodore to schedule one, but he won’t do it. I don’t know if he’s told you,"  I explained. Haley stood there for a couple seconds. She didn’t move. We waited long enough for the bus driver to start watching us, and a crowd to congregate behind me.

“Why would you lie?” Haley turned around, threw her hands up. She didn’t step off the bus, so I was looking up at her face. “I know you only joined the club because of some dare you had with your dad. Mrs. Brandywine told me when I suggested she sign you up for Interact.”

“You signed me up for Interact?” I said. I could hear the crowd behind me start snickering.

“Yes.” Haley said, throwing her hands to her side. “We needed one more person to sign up in order to have an Interact Club. You literally saved the club. I know I shouldn’t ask you to actually do anything since you were forced, but what will it take to get you to do anything?” Her cheeks were getting red.

“I don’t know,” I said. I put my head down. The buses in front of us took off, but this bus driver was forced to wait on us. He didn’t ask us to hurry up. He just watched attentively.

“What about a date?” she said laughing. “I bet you don’t get any of those?” I could hear people laughing. The bus driver made a face like he had just tasted something sour.

“I do now.” I said looking directly into Haley’s eyes. Her eyes widened, and she shook her head.

“No, I didn’t mean that. I was only joking. Please, Charlie.” She begged.

“Too late.” I said. “It was your idea.” I walked away. The crowd just watched. Haley stood still on the first step of the bus, speechless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! Comments will post after approval from a moderator.