Pages

Monday, February 2, 2015

Literary Spotlight: The Little Box

The familiar buzzing moves the device across the table
My eyes try to read her like a book in another language
Yet, I fail once again to hear the beautiful ring of her voice 
How rare it is to hear voices in a super market, at work, in my own home
I yearn to know what makes her laugh, what makes her cry 
Instead, the messages are secrets hidden beyond my reach
Another life hides so deep within the little box
A life that I try so desperately to see, to understand 
A blanket draped over our faces to hide behind the words
Words that we don't have the courage to let escape from our lips

It makes us so brave, yet so coward

If the box was left alone, I would know
The knowledge of another life would be mine 
I would know her, I could finally read her
I would know what makes her laugh, what makes her cry
I could open a door that has been shut in my face
My dear daughter, her cheeks warm against the pillow 
Dreaming of things that will forever be hidden 
There it lies.  Next to her warm cheek and dreaming mind
The key to the unknown has been placed in my hand

But wait, like dreams, the unknown will always be hidden 

Her head will lift from the pillow and she will still be mine
My lips touched her forehead.  I didn't need to know 
The box was not a home 
Moments of precious silence warms my soul
In the moments of the unknown, I find her.  I know her.
The unknown creates her laughter 
The unknown creates her tears
And I, her mother, create her comfort.  Her home. 

-Makayla Kowalski

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! Comments will post after approval from a moderator.