Pages

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

My Addiction: Video Game Review

I’m sure it’s safe to say that everyone, no matter how much s/he denies it, has an addiction. It doesn't have to be a big thing, just something you can’t stop. That’s how a certain video game is to me. Now, I like to consider myself a connoisseur of video games, but there’s just one I can’t stop obsessing about: Bioshock Infinite.

Bioshock Infinite is the child of the great Ken Levine, the person responsible for creating Irrational Studios, the company behind the Bioshock franchise. Levine has worked on other games as well, getting his start with late 90’s titles such as the critically-acclaimed System Shock 2 and Thief: The Dark Project.

Levine is a brilliant story-teller, which is why the Bioshock games are so good (leaving out Bioshock 2, as Irrational didn’t work on it). Levine’s franchise, Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite, is focused on story, which is a big A+ for me. But what gets me into Infinite more than the original is the atmosphere, the overall tone of the game. Infinite’s world is high in the clouds during the early 1900’s, with bright colors that really make the world stand out, in contrast to the original Bioshock: an underwater city after a great civil war has taken place in 1960.

Another thing that stands out from the original is the companion (or, should I say, the person necessary to complete the game) players bring along in Infinite, Elizabeth. Once a player picks Elizabeth up from her tower, she’s constantly helping, meaning the player is always in contact with someone. In contrast to the original, in which a player is alone almost the entire game with no one but a man speaking from a radio (all other humans have been turned into mutated creature-like beings). In fact, if you compare Infinite to the original, they are almost exact opposites in almost every aspect.

I think what really gets me addicted to this game is, well, everything about it. The scenery, the music, Elizabeth, the story, everything (and maybe the fact that my girlfriend and I played the game at the same time to experience it together). This game is just perfect to me. Maybe it’s the head-turning ending involving parallel universes because I’m a big science buff; maybe it’s the gameplay which is fine-tuned so perfectly. Whatever the reason, this game is one of my favorites, possibly my all-time favorite. I can always find myself going back to it, never getting bored with it. I finished it for the 4th/5th time last week, and I plan to replay it again soon. And I highly doubt I’m the only one like this, with its already around 4 million copies sold, constant Top 10 list spots and numerous pre/post release awards.

I’m gushing about this game big time. But honestly, this game is one of the best, I believe, ever. Not everyone will agree with this, but I’m sticking with it. It’s an experience to behold for yourself above all; your reaction to the ending will be different from everyone else’s . . . except by one thing: your jaw dropping to the floor for the entire time the credits roll.

-Kevin Brown


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! Comments will post after approval from a moderator.